According to the immigration office of Indonesia, only 10 percent of all Sri Lankans entering Indonesia are documented as leaving the country. The remaining 90 percent are no longer located and believed to be living in Indonesia illegally.
40 percent of citizens in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and the Maldives reported that they paid a briber to a government worker. The police were the largest recipients of the bribes. Up to two-thirds of people in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan who had contact with the police paid a bribe during the year.
According to estimates by an NGO, there are over 8,000 women working as prostitutes in the Sri Lanka capital of Colombo.
The black market in alcohol is bigger then the legal alcohol market in Sri Lanka. 77 percent of the alcohol consumed in the country was purchased on the black market, compared to 22 percent of legally sold alcohol.