In Northern Mali, a cigarette smuggler is paid $200 (100,000- CFA Francs) for a single trip transporting tobacco across the Sahara Desert. If the same smuggler is transporting cocaine, then the smuggler would be paid $2,000. (All under the table jobs and criminal income.) The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that up… Continue reading Earnings for a Cocaine and Cigarette Smuggler in Timbuktu
According to the United States Treasury Department, the average kidnap for ransom payment to Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) was $4.5 Million per hostage in 2010. In 2011, the average amount of ransom paid increased to $5.4 Million per hostage. Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb is based in Mali and operates throughout… Continue reading Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb Earnings from Ransom
Islamists in the Western African country of Mali are buying children to serve as child soldiers from families. They are paying families $600 per child, according to an official from the United Nations.
Up to 60 percent of the prostitutes in Mali work as street prostitutes, with the remaining 40 percent working in brothels. There are reports that girls as young as 12 are working as street prostitutes in Mali.