According to research organization Demoskopika in Italy, the mafia syndicate ‘Ndrangheta collected $73 Billion (€53 Billion) in revenue in 2013.
The various revenue streams for the syndicate is as follows:
- Drug Trafficking and Illegal Drug Sales: $33.3 Billion (€24.2 Billion).
- Illegal Waste Dumping: $27 Billion (€19.6 Billion).
- Extortion Payments: $3.9 Billion (€2.9 Billion).
- Embezzlement: $3.3 Billion (€2.4 Billion).
- Illegal Gambling: $1.7 Billion (€1.3 Billion).
- Arms Trafficking, Counterfeit Goods, Human Smuggling and Prostitution all totaled less than €1 Billion in total revenue.
Intelligence from criminal justice programs state that the ‘Ndragheta has around 400 key operatives working on its behalf in 30 countries. When including all people who conduct business on behalf of the group, then the number of people working for ‘Ndragheta is estimated to be as high as 60,000.
Source: AFP, “‘Ndrangheta mafia ‘made more last year than McDonald’s and Deutsche Bank’,” Guardian, March 26, 2014.