Investigations by Australian Police Between 2003 to 2011

Federal police in Australia have investigated 305 cases of human trafficking in the country between 2003 and September 2011. From these investigations, they have identified 184 victims of human trafficking in Australia. Around 70 percent of the victims were women who were forced to work in the prostitution industry, with the other 30 percent forced into various labor roles.

Source: Tom Reilly, Anne Davies, Maris Beck, “Human trafficking prompts raids on brothels,” Sydney Morning Herald, October 8, 2011.