An investigation by the WWF-Russia reports that half of the Mongolian oak that was cut down in Russia and shipped to China in 2010 was illegally logged. In 2007 and 2008, the illegal timber was four times as large as the legitimate trade. In 2011, there were a reported 691 cases of illegal logging in… Continue reading Mongolian Oak Exports From Russia to China
Oil company Royal Dutch Shell said that over 90 percent of oil spills from pipelines and other operations in Nigeria during 2012 were due to acts of sabotage. In its annual sustainability report, the company reported that around 26,000 barrels of oil were spilled in Nigeria. During 2009 to 2012, Shell estimates that 85 percent… Continue reading Oil Spills in Nigeria Due to Sabotage and Theft
Over the span of 10 years, up to 75 percent of the reported 1,000 deaths of forest rangers were due to wildlife traffickers killing the rangers. According to the International Ranger Federation, a lack of equipment, training and wages all contributed to the killings of the rangers. The remaining 25 percent of ranger deaths were… Continue reading Number of Forest Ranger Deaths From Wildlife Traffickers
Law enforcement agencies in Vietnam investigated nearly 31,400 cases of black market smuggling in 2012. The value of the illicit goods was worth $21 Million (440 Billion Vietnamese Dong). Between November 2012 to the end of February 2013, authorities arrested 11 pirates from Indonesia, 46 heroin traffickers, confiscated nearly 800 ecstasy pills, 24 kilograms of… Continue reading Smuggling Incidents in Vietnam in 2012
According to the Chairman and CEO of Petron, an estimated 36 million barrels of oil was smuggled into the Philipines in 2012. Oil industry officials also estimate that up to one-third of the oil sold on the market has been smuggled. Source: Gil Cabacungan, “Petron hits oil smuggling,” Inquirer, April 2, 2013.
Around 70 percent of the ivory that is taken from elephants killed in Africa is shipped to China. As of March 2013, the price of ivory was reported to be worth $1,300 per pound. Source: Pete Jones, “Gold and poaching bring murder and misery to Congolese wildlife reserve,” Guardian, March 31, 2013.
In March 2013, diesel smugglers in Pakistan were selling a liter of fuel in $1.06 (104 Pakistani Rupee), less than the official price of $1.14 (112 Rupee). The fuel was smuggled into the black market from Iran. Traders of the black market diesel estimated between 100 to 130 fuel tankers that each hold between 25,000… Continue reading Iranian Fuel Smuggling Into Pakistan
Wildlife traffickers are able to get up to 30 kilograms of ivory from a single elephant. If the market value of the a kilogram is $300, then the ivory from a single elephant would generate up to $9,000 on the black market. According to a report in the Guardian, a corrupt wildlife ranger who allows… Continue reading Percentage Cut for Corrupt Wildlife Ranger
Italian oil company Eni reported in March 2013 that it was suspending operations in Southern Nigeria due to rampant oil theft and sabotage. The company was producing up between 35,000 and 40,000 barrels of oil per day in its oil fields in Bayelsa. Bunkering activities were causing losses of up to 60 percent of the… Continue reading Amount of Theft and Sabotage to Eni’s Pipelines in Nigeria
In previous years, the buyers of ivory in Egypt were from Spain, Italy and the United States. In 2013, the dynamics of the market shifted to Asia, where buyers from China now account for over 50 percent of the illegal ivory sales in Egypt. According to criminal justice officials, Cairo is a major wildlife trafficking… Continue reading Cairo International Airport’s Role in the Illegal Wildlife Trade